What is the difference ?
Bariatric surgery is the preferred method for many reasons, but primarily because of recovery times. Open bariatric surgery, involves making a single, large cut in the abdomen. That cut takes a long time to heal, and affects muscles and tissue.
Most surgeons now use laparoscopic surgery.
- They make several small cuts
- Thin surgical tools are inserted through the cuts
- A small camera allows the surgeon to view the procedure on a video monitor
- Laparoscopic surgery has fewer risks
- Open surgery and may cause more pain and scarring
- Recovery times are faster with laparoscopic surgery
There are advantages to open surgery if you have certain conditions.
- If you are extremely obese
- If you have had prior surgery
- If you have complex medical problems (called ‘comorbidities’)